Khandvi Recipe | Gujarati Khandvi Rolls-
This Gujarati snack is a treat to eat but can be a little tricky to make. Gram flour and yogurt flavoured are cooked into a lump free mixture smeared on a greased surface, rolled into a pin wheel and then tempered with mustard seeds, fresh coriander and coconut. Khandvi is made from besan (gram flour) cooked with some curd and seasoning. If your yogurt is not sour then add lemon juice. The soft and silky texture might scare you at first. But trust me, making khandvi at home is possible and with a little practice it is easy. You can make perfect khandvi at home once you master the consistency of the batter.
We need very few ingredients to make this delicious treat. It’s quite probable that you already have all the ingredients to make khandvi at home. The trick to make perfect khandvi is in batter. I will share some tips with you all so that you can get perfect batch of khandvi batter in very first try. To make delicious khandvi, we will need following ingredients. Gram flour (besan), curd / yogurt, turmeric powder, oil, curry leaves, mustard seeds, fresh coriander and some freshly grated coconut.
To find if the batter is ready:
Take one teaspoon of batter and put it on a greased surface, spread it over the flT surface, make it as thin as possible. Now roll over the spread batter, if you are able to do it then it’s ready else, cook it for another minute.
To cook the Khandvi in microwave you can follow these simple steps:
- Mix gram flour and yogurt in a bowl. Place the bowl in a microwave and cook at high speed for 5 mins.
- Remove and whisk the mixture until smooth.
- Place it in microwave again and cook for about 4 minutes this time.
- Remove and whisk well.
- Repeat this in interval of 2 – 2 minutes (whisk again) and then about a minute. Each time you will notice that the batter will get thick and difficult to whisk. This only says that it is getting cooked. The cooking time will vary. So you will need to check every time you bring it out of the microwave.
- The batter once done/cooked will be thicker than it was initially, but should still be in a consistency where it can be spread evenly and in a thin layer.
- The raw smell of the flour should have gone by the time it is done cooking. When the batter is ready, you will notice that it pulls away from the wall of the bowl and no longer sticks to the side.
Take the gram flour (besan) and add salt, turmeric powder and curd. Whisk the ingredients well till a soft batter is formed. Then add water to the batter and mix well. Heat thick bottom pan or karahi and pour the batter into the pan and stir continuously. Stir the batter continuously at low flame. The batter will slowly start to thicken. Stir vigorously and evenly to avoid lump formation.
Khandvi Recipe | Gujarati Khandvi Rolls
Khandvi Recipe | Gujarati Khandvi Rolls-Khandvi recipe is no garlic no onion recipe and hence also a pure vegetarian recipe. We need very few ingredients to make this delicious treat.
- 1/2 Cup Gram flour (Besan)
- 1/4 Cup Curd / yogurt (dahi)
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 Teaspoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard seeds (rai)
- 5 tbsp Fresh Coconut
- 3 tbsp Fresh coriander (hara dhaniya) (finely chopped)
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
In a bowl take the gram flour (besan) and add salt, turmeric powder and curd. Whisk the ingredients well till a soft batter is formed.
Then add water to the batter and mix well. Heat thick bottom pan or karahi and pour the batter into the pan and stir continuously.
Stir the batter continuously at low flame. The batter will slowly start to thicken. Stir vigorously and evenly to avoid lump formation.
Once it become nice and thick and you feel it is done just test it on a small plate and see that you are able to roll it or not. If you can roll then your khandvi batter is ready.
Pour a ladle full of khandvi batter on the clean slap or tray and spread as thin as possible with the large knife as I have done or with back of a large flat spoon.
Then let it cool down and cut into 2 inch wide strips.
Meanwhile, for preparing tadka- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, curry leaves, pinch of salt, sugar and a spoon of oil. Cook till it cracks.
Sprinkle little tadka and shredded coconut on the khandvi strips. Then carefully roll each strip.
Place all the rolls in the serving dish. Now pour the rest of the tadka on top of the khandvi.
Gujarati Khandvi is ready. Garnish it with the grated coconut and coriander leaves.
- Do not apply pressure while rolling, do it gently. otherwise it will break and wont look nice. If trying for the first time then try it in a small batch. Once the batter is ready do spread it as quickly as possible. Stir continuously. no lumps should be formed.